QPR and Fulham share the spoils in fiery derby

QPR v Fulham

Tempers flared on the sidelines late in the match as QPR held Fulham to a 1-1 draw at Loftus Road in Saturday’s early kick-off encounter.

After surviving an early penalty against them, the home side took a first half lead courtesy of 20-year-old Ryan Manning who took advantage of a poor Kevin McDonald back pass.

Though a second-half Chris Martin deflection on a Tom Cairney shot would provide the telling equaliser in a dramatic West London Derby.

Buoyed by three consecutive Championship victories, QPR opened the derby with the first chances of the game, however in their first attacking play, it was Fulham that looked set to open the scoring.

Sone Aluko made a thunderous run into the box before he was ruled to have been brought down, and the Whites had a penalty in just the sixth minute.

Martin stepped up to take the spot-kick however was denied by a fantastic save from Alex Smithies, diving low to his right.

QPR soon looked to take advantage and after forcing a save of David Button, Idrissa Sylla found himself fortuitously through on goal however failed to pull the trigger, allowing Button to collect.

Fulham continued to dominate possession however were forced to shoot from distance, with Tom Cairney’s 20th minute left-foot effort fizzling just wide of the post.

Things would take a sudden turn for Fulham when McDonald produced a wayward back pass, allowing for Manning to pounce on a one-on-one opportunity and open his goal account with QPR to make it 1-0.

Following an open final 20 minutes of the half, it would remain 1-0 to the home side after 45 minutes.

Fulham continued their dominance on the ball in the second half as they went in search of a second goal. Though chances came at both ends of the field, with QPR coming close to heading in off two free-kicks, before Aluko’s 59th minute shot required another Smithies save.

It soon looked as though QPR had doubled their lead, however Sylla had cheekily put the ball in the back of the net with his hand and received a yellow card for his efforts.

As QPR started to sit back in their own half, Fulham applied the pressure, providing a constant threat outside the penalty area. After earning a free-kick, QPR could only head clear as far as Tom Cairney, who saw his drilled effort on goal deflected by Martin, giving Smithies no chance of saving, making it 1-1.

It was a frantic final 15 minutes as both teams traded shots on goal in search of a winner. Conor Washington came closest for QPR, as Button scrambled to regather after his initial save. Meanwhile, Martin saw his effort on goal deflected wide at the other end of the field.

As the final whistle drew near, tempers flared both on the pitch and on the sidelines in a fiery end to the derby. Though the score would remain 1-1, the spoils shared in the second edition of this season’s West London Derby.

QPR fans – keen to share your opinions!? Register to ‘QPR Opinions’ today and help shape the future of your club!